Home remedies for coughHomeHome RemediesHome remedies for cough
A cough is caused by irritation of the upper respiratory tract, which may be due to a variety of factors. Cough is a symptom of some diseases, most often the common cold. It is a sudden, often dry, spasmodic expiratory effort caused by air passing through the larynx and trachea. Some of the common causes of cough include bacterial or viral infections, allergy and asthma.
Home remedies are often effective in treating mild to moderate cases of cough. However, if you experience a severe cough that does not respond to home remedies, then you must consult your doctor. Some of the most common home remedies for cough include:
- Drinking plenty of fluids to avoid dehydration.
- Gargling with warm water and salt – Gargling with warm salt water helps soothe the throat and reduces inflammation in the throat area. You can gargle with one teaspoon of salt in a cup of warm water several times a day until relief is obtained.
- Drinking lemon juice mixed with honey – Lemon juice mixed with honey provides immediate relief from dryness in the throat caused by coughing and helps loosen mucus secretions. Drinking lemon juice mixed with honey at least three times a day helps relieve symptoms associated with colds, flu and allergies such as shortness of breath, nasal congestion and sneezing.
- Avoid smoking and exposure to smoke.
- Use over-the-counter medications for temporary relief from cough symptoms such as sore throat or nasal congestion.