Scientific Name: Withania somniferum
Common Names: Indian ginseng, poison gooseberry, or winter cherry.
Family Name: Solanaceae or nightshade family.
- Strengthens muscles, bones, tissues.
- Reduces general fatigue.
- Boosts up energy and strength for the body.
- In Ayurveda, the berries and leaves of Withania somnifera are applied to tumors and used externally for ulcers thus acting as an antiulcer and anticancer agent.
- Stimulates the immune system and acts as an antidisease agent.
- Used as an antiseptic helping in relieving cough, cold, fever, asthma.
- Reduces the negative effects of stress and anxiety.
- Protects the heart and regulates blood pressure.
- Promotes sleep and gives relaxation.
- Protects intestines and liver and helps in digestion and relieves constipation.
- Regulates sexual functions.
- The roots of Withania somnifera are useful in enhancing energy and reducing aging factor with the reduction of cortisol production.
- Helps to maintain hormone balance and acts as a strong supportive agent in menopause.
- Improves long-term visual memory.
- Fights mood imbalance.
Image source: Flicker: Hari